Runeberg's Cottage

Johan Ludvig Runeberg was born in Jakobstad February 5 1804 and there are several houses and places in the town associated with Johan Ludvig and his family, inter alia Runeberg’s cottage in Östanpå and Mother Westman’s cottage on Visasbacken.

Runeberg's cottage is open by agreement. Summer 2023: June 27 – August 12, Tuesday to Sunday 12 a.m – 4 p.m.

Runeberg’s cottage in Östanpå was built in 1811 by Johan Ludvig’s father Lorenz Ulrik Runeberg and uncle Mathias Mattsson Malm. The cottage was used as a hunting and fishing cottage and this is where Janne, as he was called, spent his summers during his childhood and youth.

The cottage decayed after the death of his father, but was repaired by Johan Ludvig’s friends and handed over to the family Runeberg in 1851. Johan Ludvig did not use the cottage himself, but his sister Emma Wegelius did.

In the beginning of the 1880’s, the cottage was once again in great need of renovation. After a couple of years, it was reopened to the public. The cottage has been in the town’s possession since 1911. With time, the cottage became an important memorial to the national poet and one of the region’s first tourist attractions. The cottage has also been a popular place of excursion for the inhabitants in Jakobstad.


Vi använder cookies för att göra din upplevelse på sidan så trevlig som möjligt.

Om du vill läsa vår integritetspolicy och vilka cookies vi använder så hittar du den nedan.