The document archive
Documents and archive materials have continuously been added to the museum’s collections since the establishment in 1904. The museum did not have an archive space until the museum office got its own facility in the beginning of the 1980’s. A corner room in The little building was converted into an archive, containing a couple of plan cabinets and a few meters of shelf space. The most known and used archives were placed in the shelves, while the others remained packed. The museum office in the The little building became too small for the growing activities and the staff moved into the adjacent building at Storgatan 4 in 2002. The archive has now got bigger space, enabling division into compartments.
The document archive has two rooms with roller racking systems, one with association and company archives and one with individual and family archives. Today, the archive has approximately 100 shelf meters of documents and is continuously increasing. Among the most used archives are Malm and Strengberg trading house archives, the Jakobstad shipping office archive, author Anna Bondestam’s archive and parish scribe Brunberg’s archive.
The map archive mainly consists of local maps from Jakobstad and the neighbouring municipalities.
The museum also manages the town’s older map collection containing original maps from 1754 until today. Many of the older maps of Jakobstad are kept in other archives, e.g. in Stockholm, and they have been copied in suitable ways for availability.
Many of the maps are made for special purposes, such as town planning, road building, water pipes etc. A subgroup is the collection of nautical charts. The collection includes approximately 300 nautical charts, of which a third covers the coasts of Finland and are printed in the 19th century until the mid-20th century. The rest of the charts covers the oceans and the sailing ship era in the 19th century.
The Jakobstad-Pietarsaari museum’s archive is the local history archive in Jakobstad, where associations and individuals can place their archives for future storing. The archive also manages a part of the town’s, mostly older, maps and drawings. The archive is accessed by the Museum office and can be visited during its opening hours.
The document archive